Tuesday, August 25, 2015

A True Story : Always Be Mindful Of Your Body.....

                      My Story ..... 

Disclaimer  : I left out the names of doctors. As I want to share my story and provide others with a signs to watch out for as you never know if this may happen. 

    About two years ago, I went to a foot doctor within my insurance company. He seemed okay, but it also weird as clients where walk in only. And seemed like cattle with each passing person. His practice of cleaning the his tools that used wasn't very sanitary. Sprayed antiseptic to clean from person to person. None the less, I had a ingrown toe nail which resulted in having the toe nail removed.


First removal went okay; with the second that is when the problem's started. And it was about a 1 year after the first removal. My foot doctor at that time , didn't use numbing spray on right big toe. He just numbed  the toe with a needle and when it came time for removal of the toe nail. It was very painful !!!!  


Shortly after the removal, I had to go to hospital as I had a infection in my toe. With the advice of my husband, I found  a new foot doctor. With further treatments to take care of hang nails and watch the general health of the toe. 

Fast forward to May of this year. During the past few months, I continued to take care of my hang nails. I recently explained to my podiatrist doctor that I have a lot of pain in the big toe. 

 From that point , I was sent for X-ray and they were unable to confirm if I had a infection. Then I had a MRI with contrast and non contrast. And from those images, they were able to see that yes there is a small section , near the bone that was causing a bone infection. 

But luckily, this was caught early enough  that it didn't progress into something much worst. From there, I was advise to set up a appointment with Infectious Disease doctor.  I provided my information to the imaging department as well as my podiatrist to ensure that Infectious disease doctor to get things moving. 

With a short delay , things did get going. Diagnosed with Osteomyelitis Nos , Ankle/ Foot. Due to urgency of this infection, I made a appointment on June 22nd to get my Picc line put into my arm.  That was truly scary, as you are wake , they numb your arm. And proceed to insert a  plastic a Cather into your arm. The staff was great, and I had a nurse talk to me through out the whole process. As well see the xray and watch them as the doctor placed the end of the Cather in my heart.  Prior to starting my Iv medicine, I wasn't feeling very well at all. According to my mom, I was pale as well. 

The following day, I had my first visit and 24 hr bandage change. Luckily, I will be only taking  two antibiotics . And do this by Sash method. Which it is really easy just takes time to get it.  It goes like this :
                 

       


  •  Saline flush
  • Antibiotic
  • Saline flush                                      
  • Wait 10 minutes
  • Antibiotic
  • Saline flush
  • Heparin flush     
   Overall, I have very mild side affects only during the first few days. Also I had really bad cramping my arm that went to my back. I spoke with my nurse and recommend that I need to call a on call nurse. Received a call back, and was advised to use a heating pad on the area. I did that for about two days. 

Thankfully, I have had no pain since. With this being the second week, I seen a change in my big right toe. I am feeling better, and I am getting use to my Picc Line. 

Fast forward about four weeks into the six week / eight week process. I have made a lot of progress. Going to for follow up X-ray to see how the infection has reduced. And see what the next steps are . Another appointment with Infectious Disease Doctor to possible get released or extended. Hoping for the best! 

Current day, I seen my Infectious Disease Doctor blood work and X rays look good.  So after many weeks of IV antibiotics. I am feeling a lot better than I was six weeks ago. I am very thankful that this wasn't extended another two weeks. And that my foot doctor was able to caught  this early. 

I was able to get my picc removed ,and it only took a few minutes. And I was able to use a simple bandage. In a couple hours it will be removed.  Now after all this I can get back to functioning like normal. 

Had one other follow up appointment with my foot doctor everything seems to be fine now. And I am no longer in pain !!! 
So, please always be mindful of your body. And always question your doctors as you never what will happen if you don't. 

                                       

     

No comments:

Post a Comment